Need help to Identify my gun( P14 ?????)

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Eddy

Need help to Identify my gun( P14 ?????)

Post by Eddy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:41 am

Can anyone help me identify this gun that was given to me. All i know its a .303 caliber made in 1916 and note a predominant "EY" marking on the barrel. Could it be a P14 Enfield ??

Thank you
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:52 am

Hi Eddy,

A big welcome to MAH and thanks for the post.

Certainly looks like a sporterised P14, EY indicates it was manufactured in its original guise by Eddystone.

Still has the rear volley sight, no doubt the dial went the journey with rest of the stock.

Good strong action on the P14/M17s, how does she shoot?
ImageImage
Reese Williams
Regular visitor

Post by Reese Williams » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:57 am

Eddy,

The answers you got on this and the other forums were pretty complete, a sporterized P14 rifle. These are often called American Enfields because they were produced in America on a contract for the British. They were made by Winchester, Remington and a Remington subsidiary at Eddystone. After the British contracts were filled the rifle with minor changes was produced in 30-06 as the M1917 for the US Army. After WWI Remington continued to prodece a civilian model, which looked much like your sporter, as the Model 30.

Dromia, I respectfully disagree about the marking. I believe EY signified Emergency Use, The receiver stamp for Eddystone was ERA
Eddy

Post by Eddy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:03 am

Thank you for the reply Dromia. "Sans peur" tu parles francais ? :)

I have not shoot this rifle yet, first i want to be absolutly sure that its a .303, cause i red that some of those rifle were rechambered or their caliber were modified??? I doubt this one was, not in 1916,i think.

Like you said the action on it seems indestructible,and very precise with no play or loose at all.

Do you know dromia if theses gun put a strong recoil kick back, i have a 300 winchester mag. does it compare ?
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:32 am

Reese, I'll stand corrected.

Should have checked rather than trust to my failing mind :D

If its an "emergency use only" rifle the I'd be chary about shooting it. :(
ImageImage
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:41 pm

Eddy,

I would say that it is highly likely it is in .303 calibre but there is always the chance that with all those other modifications and the length of time it's been around that it's been rechambered.

If you want 100% accuracy on the calibre you will have take it to a gunsmith. Given it was downgraded to a grenade firing rifle that might not be a bad idea anyway.

BTW welcome to the forum.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
KCLRPC
Contributing Member

Post by KCLRPC » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:33 pm

If you post close ups of the proof marks I might be able to help you, but I'm better on British proof rather than Canadian. It does, however, still look to be wearing its original barrel, so it seems hopeful its in its original calibre

Nick
Eddy

Post by Eddy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:36 pm

Hope theses pictures can help

Thanks
KCLRPC
Contributing Member

based on those

Post by KCLRPC » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:50 pm

The proof marks are the military ones, which wouldn't be valid in Britain, so I'd suggest checking with a gunsmith just to make sure its all legal (its a £1000 fine over here for using an unproofed weapon). Curiously, and I guess I will find pretty quickly if I'm wrong, I think the '16 stamp in the top two photos relates to the year it was barreled, so if right it has its original barrel.

Hope thats of some help

Nick
Leading Member

Re: based on those

Post by 24626151 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:40 am

KCLRPC wrote:The proof marks are the military ones, which wouldn't be valid in Britain, so I'd suggest checking with a gunsmith just to make sure its all legal (its a £1000 fine over here for using an unproofed weapon). Curiously, and I guess I will find pretty quickly if I'm wrong, I think the '16 stamp in the top two photos relates to the year it was barreled, so if right it has its original barrel.

Hope thats of some help

Nick
Its not an offence to use a weapon out of proof but to sell one knowingly out of proof!

Hence the auctioneers caution!

Edited to add, you may be a darwin awards candidate if you do though!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com