A Good Swiss Fort Site

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

LoLo25643

A Good Swiss Fort Site

Post by LoLo25643 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Here's a good link that I can lose track of time in a hurry browsing through. Just thought I would put it up if your interested in this part of Swiss collecting and history.

http://www.fortlitroz.ch/index.php?p=0
Guisan
Contributing Member

Post by Guisan » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Yup that's an interesting site, a pity that they won't let you copy any pics there. They don't seem to be willing in cooperating spreading knowledge.

Guisan. :D
LoLo25643

Post by LoLo25643 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:24 pm

Yeah that was my only dissapointment. Plenty of links to keep you occupied though. Old forts have always interested me since I was a kid. Just to the south of me their are plenty of old coastal defence locations guarding the bays on the gulf. Some of them were in use since the early 1800's and were utilized up through WW2. I'd love to have the chance one day to visit a couple of these in the CH.
Guisan
Contributing Member

Post by Guisan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:14 am

Well here some more Swiss links to do your research before you go.. ;)

http://www.schweizer-festungen.ch/links.htm

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

NOT THAT I AM ADVOCATING THIS YOU UNDERSTAND

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:33 am

You COULD:-

Open an Image

Press 'PRINT SCREEN'

Open a blank page/screen in some photo software such as Photoshop

Paste the image onto it

Crop the image

Manipulate it

Save it.

Not that I would ever do this myself of course but it could be acceptable for, say, a paper on Swiss Forts that was part of a research project :roll: :roll:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Guisan
Contributing Member

Post by Guisan » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:53 am

Well I know that way also but it should not be necessary, the pics are no art works, they simply show items from musea and other collections. I've put over 4k of pics online myself and never made a problem of people using them, I do find my pics everywhere on the web posted by others even here at this forum, it's a good way to spread knowledge about the subjects. People should be able to file them so they can compare when they find things.

DuncaninFrance

YOU ARE PARTLY RIGHT GUISAN BUT..............

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:41 pm

.........not everyone thinks that way. As a semi-pro photographer myself my copyright is important to me. I certainly wouldn't want my images to be used by any Tom, Dick or Harry so they could earn money from my work. Control of images has become a problem with the advent of the internet and digital photography. If authors are happy to have their images used without control then that is fine but I don't condemn any one who is not happy to allow their images to be used by anyone without their permission - they do belong to them and they have every right to control them. :cool:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Guisan
Contributing Member

Post by Guisan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:03 am

Well I agree if they are any special pics but on the other hand who are we to consider pics taken with permission in a public museum to be personal property with copyright restrictions ?

DuncaninFrance

THATS THE WAY IT IS .......

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:52 am

Copyright belongs to the author, it's up to him how he controls it. Now if you paid the photographer for the job and agreed the copyright ownership in a contract before they start that is a different matter.

Some people are generous with their rights and others are not. C'est la vie :cry:
Duncan

Guisan
Contributing Member

Post by Guisan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:32 am

Yup I know what the copyright laws say but that does not mean that I always agree with them ;)

Guisan. :D .