Charger Loading Lee Metford

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

PeterN2

Charger Loading Lee Metford

Post by PeterN2 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:36 pm

I am now the owner of a commercial BSA CLLM rifle. The rifle is in very good condition considering that is about 100 years old. The numbers on the bolt, barrel and action all match. It came with the original leaf sight but the previous owner has installed a rather spiffing target sight that he bought new in the box at one of the pistol meetings at Bisley a few years ago. It is marked as being a Peddie sight made by VSM. It is a leaf sight graduated in minutes on the left side and yards on the right side. It is adjustable for windage, again marked in minutes. The left side of the action has 'GE Fulton' engraved in a fancy script. The bore is in quite good condition, a little dark in the groves but otherwise shiney. It has seven grooves. The volley sights are all present and correct. I bought it from a friend who has had it for about 12 years or so. He has not used it much and I intend to use it sparingly. I will probably use cast lead bullets in it rather than Mk7 ball. I paid his asking price of £600. It came with 300 rounds of South African NC ammunition and about 40 rounds of HXP as part of the deal. He bought the South African ammo but didn't like it and used very little. The ammunition will go down nicely in my No4.

Overall, I am very pleased with this rifle. I will take some pics when I can get some decent daylight.

Regards

Peter.

<p>
Brian the Brit
Contributing Member

Re: Charger Loading Lee Metford

Post by Brian the Brit » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:50 pm

It sounds great, Peter, and I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.

My Lee Metford Cavalry Carbine was a great disappointment with cast bullets scattering them randomly all over the backstop and tumbling them even at 50 yards. I even tried black powder but 52 grains was all I could stuff into a case and that didn't help at all, it just made cleaning even more of a chore. When I moved over to FMJ I was amazed by the difference. The rifle shot well and the bullets even went through the target point first.

Let us know how you get on with cast bullets and if you do find that "magic load" I hope you'll pass it on.

Brian

<p>
When 'arf of your bullets fly wide in the ditch,
Don't call your Martini a cross-eyed old bitch;
She's human as you are -- you treat her as sich,
An' she'll fight for the young British soldier.
Strangely Brown

Re: VSM?

Post by Strangely Brown » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:31 pm

Peter that would be Vickers Sons & Maxim, they had manufacturing places in Bath, London and Crayford which is better known as Orpington these days.

I shall look forward to seeing some pictures of it, were you aware of an annual "grudge match" between two forum members both using Long Lee's?

Sanity prevailed and the "true" gentleman won the day!

<!--EZCODE LINK START--><a href="http://p089.ezboard.com/fmilsurpafterho ... =209.topic" target="top">Grudge Match</a><!--EZCODE LINK END-->

<p>Mick</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p089.ezboard.com/bmilsurpafterho ... >dromia</Ahttp://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... andCLR.gif[/pic] at: 10/5/04 11:40 pm

</i>
Mick
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:12 am

Sounds like a class act Peter.

I do love the Long Lees.

Can't wait to see the pictures.

<p>http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/ ... _Badge.gif" style="border:0;"/><!--EZCODE IMAGE END-->

Adam.

Why don't you visit .

ImageImage
Flaith

Post by Flaith » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:28 am

I love Long Lees also and now will probably never get another, although I recently got a LE Mk1 that had been made into a sporter. Not restoreable as it has been reblued, had someones name stamped on it, fitted with later woodwork and a new--unfired--Indian .303 barrel. I really bought it for the barrel but it is such a fine action I will keep it for use. Regret having parted with some nice Longs years ago, but then I'm the sort of a clown who passed up a .22rf 1873 Winchester full magazine rifle that a London gunshop offered me in 1960. Who would want a heavy .22 like that? It was in good order too and priced at around 60 quid Sterling (real money) Mind you that was about 6 weeks wages.Got back home and read how rare they were.Damm.

Eoin.

<p>