fab. nat. d'armes de guerre herstal-belgique

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

playmaker

fab. nat. d'armes de guerre herstal-belgique

Post by playmaker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:13 pm

I just bought this rifle and it's a mauser but in 30-06, the only stampings is the FAB. NAT on the left side and a .30 on the top. The thing is its missing the front bottom handguard and the top handguard and all the pieces to hold it on. I would like to know if its possible to buy these pieces and what i all need. I know nothing about the gun really so if someone could help me out i would appreciate it.
Niner
Site Admin

Welcome to the forums Playmaker

Post by Niner » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:57 pm

I'd guess you have one of the contract models made by FN and sold to various South American countries. There was a Model 1950 short rifle sold to Columbia and also a Peruvian Model 1935 both in 30.06 or converted to 30.06 in the case of the Peruvian one. There could very well be some others I'm unaware of.

I'll attach a photo from Robert Ball's mauser book of the Peruvian one as well as a scan of the Columbian contract Mauser from an old Springfield Sporters catalog from about ten years ago.....I almost bought one then. :cry:

If you can find some more marks, like on the ring for instance, it would make it easier to figure out what you have.

Once you find out what you have one place I'd inquire about stock parts would be Springfield Sporters.
Attachments
Colombian FN Mauser from Springfield Sporters
Colombian FN Mauser from Springfield Sporters
Peruvian FN Mauser
Peruvian FN Mauser
Last edited by Niner on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:01 pm

It might be a Columbian Mauser any pictures of it.
playmaker

Post by playmaker » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:48 pm

It looks more like the peruvian but im not sure, my stock has a circle metal plate in the butt of the stock and a little rectangle piece of metal by the back hand grip but my serial numbers dont match i dont know if that matters or not, it doesnt have any symbol on the ring or on the right side of ring just a seial number. So the 98k parts wont fit mine even if id replace the whole stock or would it? Is there a scope mount that u know of that has to be drilled that would work i see some for 98k and abunch of others but i dont know if it would fit mine All i have that would take a pic is a webcam and its blurry ill try to get a digital carmera
playmaker

Post by playmaker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:32 pm

do u know if this would be considered a large ring or a small ring mauser
Niner
Site Admin

A picture would be nice

Post by Niner » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:37 pm

I'm not sure what size ring it has without looking at it. Do you have a way of measuring it?

I'd guess a VZ24 stock with the wood upper handguard would be closer to matching what you have than a K98 stock......just a guess.

Here is a link to a Peruvian 30.06 Mauser that may be like what we are talking about. Another thing that might show it is Peruvian is if the safety lever turns to the left for safe, which is the reverse of other Mausers.

http://66.150.49.152/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =111330669
playmaker

Post by playmaker » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:35 pm

the safety turns to the right for safe so maybe its a columbian, the bottom isnt all one piece out at the handguard is it, mine stops after the sling nut, like is the end where the top handguard is is the bottom a seperate piece or is it all one piece, this stock looks just like mine where all the holes are mine has them its the only one ive seen like it, wonder if it wouild work
Attachments
vz24stk.jpg
vz24stk.jpg (5.1 KiB) Viewed 11691 times