OVS

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Serenity
Regular visitor

OVS

Post by Serenity » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:56 pm

This is my new 7x57 Orange Free State (OVS) mauser I think it’s a model M1893/95 I’m struggling to find much information on this rifle but this is what I have so far the Typical marking of this type of rifle are Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionsfabriken Berlin on the left side rail and O.V.S on the breach ring with serial number and that The Boers or owner often engraved there regiment or name on the left side of the butt.

OVS received only 7900 of these rifle numbered OVS/1 to OVS/7900 these where the first of this type manufactured the second lot that was ordered was captured by the British embargo during the war and ended up in Chile. can anyone help with this :)
Attachments
DSC05687.JPG
DSC05685.JPG
DSC05686.JPG
DSC05678.JPG
sorry about pic had to use mob/cam
sorry about pic had to use mob/cam
ooooooooow whats this........... oh no............. hide it!!!!!
Serenity
Regular visitor

Post by Serenity » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:06 pm

After 1902 the Union of South Africa was formed consisting of the former Cape Colony, OVS, ZAR and Natal. With the outbreak of World War 1, the Union Defence Force (UDF) was tasked to invade German South West Africa due to the lack of equipment the Portuguese government sent supply of 20,000 rifles and other equipment to the UDF. The rifles they where sent where Portuguese Mauser’s in 6.5 but Primarily due to ammunition quality problems, the Portuguese mauser was finally decommissioned buy south Africa in the early 1920s. again I have not had this out on the range yet its in perfect condition and the rifling looks new cant wait to give it a go
ooooooooow whats this........... oh no............. hide it!!!!!
Niner
Site Admin

That's one that we don't see every day

Post by Niner » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 pm

I can't find much about your rifle online either. Ball's Mauser book pretty much doesn't mention it other than the rifles that were sold to Chile. Looks like you have a good one to research further.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:54 am

Can't help with the rifle but there were a couple of books published in Australia (by the same author) on the carvings on these weapons.

Might be worth a look if you get heavily into researching it.

http://www.boerwarcarvings.bravehost.com/
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:53 am

Interesting site, Graeme.

The late Les Crisp former manager of Smith's Sports Store, had a '96 which had a Cavalry patrol, or a charge (I was shown it over 50 years ago and can't now remember which) carved from the butt plate to near the muzzle end and as I remember I was impressed most by the beautiful proportions of the work. He also had a couple of others with unit badges carved on them.

Wonder if I can talk the local library into buying the books?
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
BOLOMK1
Sustaining Member

Post by BOLOMK1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:26 am

You might try an interlibrary loan request.I've gotten to check some pretty obscure books for research that way at virtually no cost.

John
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Damon, have you tried the Royal Armouries on this one yet?

I can take some better photos of it, if you would like me to, and bung off the pics to them.

Looking forward to the next range day and seeing it in action. There is a Police Shoot at Catterick 21st February if you can make it.

Joe
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Royal armouries? they will know as much about it as my arse knows about snipe shooting. They have the collections but from my experience not much knowledge.

I suggest that you give Patrick 1886 lebel a PM on this one, he is connected to some very knowledgeable people, especially about these inferior mousers, on some other forums and is likely to point you in the right direction.

I would also do a google search for South African rifle forums and Boer museums, if you want to know about some going to the source is always best.
ImageImage
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:55 pm

I also seem to remember that Douglas known as DD here spent some time in SA so he might be worth a PM as to contacts out in SA.
ImageImage
Dalkowski110
Contributing Member

The best book...

Post by Dalkowski110 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:12 pm

The best book you can find for info on this rifle is Small Arms of the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902 by Dr. Ron Bester. Unfortunately, the book is rare and you'll have to get one through inter-library loan. Your rifle was definitely in Great Britain at one point, incidentally. Not saying it was a bringback, but it was in Great Britain. See the BNP? That was required on any firearm that was going to be fired in Great Britain.

The stock carving is not uncommon. A great many burghers carved their rifle stocks with their initials, often more. Also, that swirly stamp next to the "OVS" was stated by Walter W.D. Ball in MMoW 3rd edition to have appeared on all of the Mauser rifles imported into either one of the Boer republics: the Oranje Vrij Staat (OVS...where your rifle was delivered) or Zuid-Africkaansche Republiek (ZAR). Its meaning is unknown, however. That's a superb rifle and I am envious.

EDIT: When I wrote this, I didn't see that you yourself were located in the UK. With that said, most of the more recently imported OVS Mausers and other military rifles have the BNP stamped under the wood, not slapped on the side of the receiver.
-J.W.

By the way, interested in fine C&R Sporting Arms and C&R American factory sporting rifles? Go here...

http://www.milsurpshooter.net/forums/131

...new members are always welcome!