Range day with M38 short Turk

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Niner
Site Admin

Range day with M38 short Turk

Post by Niner » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:50 pm

Perfect day. Temps in high 60's. No rain. Range all to myself for the first hour. Thank god the hunting season is over.

Got this restocked M38 short Turk from AIM back in June of 2000. Cost all of $79.95 and came drilled for a scope and with a pair of rings thrown in to boot.

Shot some old Turk ammo too. 1939 birth date. Only one round failed to fire. Shot a respectable group at 50 yards.
Attachments
$4.75.jpg
1939.jpg
turk.jpg
one.jpg
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:47 am

Sounds like a perfect day out Robert, I could do with a nice relaxing range day myself right now.

I have never seen any Turkish 8mm ammo, thanks for the pics. You only had one misfire, did any of the ammo hangfire. I shoot old East Bloc stuff that is prone to misfire and hangfire occasionally. Great for practicing your follow through! :lol:

Joe
Niner
Site Admin

Turk 8mm

Post by Niner » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:33 am

Century Arms brought in a few boat loads of the the Turk ammo eight or ten years ago. You could buy bandoleers of 70 rounds on stripper clips for under $5. How much under $5 varied from time to time and depended on how much you bought at a time too. And... they paid the shipping. Now days the shipping factor on a dozen bandoleers might be more than what I paid for the ammo itself back then. :shock:

The dates I've noticed on the ammo are all late 30's through mid 40's. The reliability factor remains good to this day. The Turks must have stored it in an ammo friendly place for a lot of years. There are very few misfires. And the Turks didn't spare the powder when loading them either which means you better have the butt of your rifle planted firmly against your shoulder when you pull the trigger on any of it.

The one misfire was from a primer malfunction.

The only other sometimes noted problem with the ammo is that there are some rounds with the bullet not firmly grasped by the case and sometimes the shell case proves to be brittle and the spent cases show neck or shoulder splits.....but since they are discarded anyway it makes no difference.

I still have a dozen or so full bandoleers. Wish now I had bought more when I had the chance.