Two Walther PP pistols.

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Two Walther PP pistols.

Post by Niner » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Having a problem with a boat maintenance problem I couldn't finish today I decided to do something else. I took out my two Walther PP pistols and thought I'd do a short examination.

One of the pistols is a .22 caliber Walther PP made in Zella-Mehlis Germany before WWII and sometime long before the war. An American soldier brought it home when he returned from Europe. It had suffered some hard knocks. The grip on one side shows some strange wear, perhaps by contact with something hot. It's been in my family for as long as I can remember. The other is a 7.65 Manurhin PP made under license to Walther sometime after 1952. It has an additional number engraved on the frame that looks as though it may have belonged to some organized service...maybe police.

They look almost identical in design upon first look. But a closer inspection finds a few differences besides the engraving and caliber.

Manurhin played a large part in getting Walther going again after the war. The original German Walther plant was in the Russian occupation zone right after the war and they were out of business. The French were the only ones making Walther's guns under license, for a while. By 1986 when Manurhin stopped making the PP and PPK's Walther was back again and in business in Ulm. It was a good deal for both Manurhin and Walther. Now days I think all PP's and PPk"s are made in the US by Smith and Wesson.
Attachments
leftpair.jpg
rightpair.jpg
Manurhin slide remarks.  Note that it says in English "Made in France"   Although judging by a property mark on the frame this one was probably sold in Europe to some police type organization.
Manurhin slide remarks. Note that it says in English "Made in France" Although judging by a property mark on the frame this one was probably sold in Europe to some police type organization.
Walther slide engraved information.
Walther slide engraved information.
Simple pre Nazis German Proof
Simple pre Nazis German Proof
The French made pistols St.  Etienne proof mark.
The French made pistols St. Etienne proof mark.
They both function and take down the same easy Walther way
They both function and take down the same easy Walther way
The 90 degree safety lever on the Manurhin is slightly larger
The 90 degree safety lever on the Manurhin is slightly larger
Muzzle view.  The Larger caliber Manurhin exhibits a distinct ridge on both sides running back along the slide as the base of the thicker sided slide connects to the frame.  The .22 is smooth and rounded and no ridge is evident.
Muzzle view. The Larger caliber Manurhin exhibits a distinct ridge on both sides running back along the slide as the base of the thicker sided slide connects to the frame. The .22 is smooth and rounded and no ridge is evident.
Spring over firing pin can be seen in the Manurhin
Spring over firing pin can be seen in the Manurhin
The front sight on the German made Walther is slightly larger.
The front sight on the German made Walther is slightly larger.
The top strap of the slide is well finished in either model with the engraved striations on the sight path.  However, the Walter PP has a red line under the back sight.
The top strap of the slide is well finished in either model with the engraved striations on the sight path. However, the Walter PP has a red line under the back sight.
The Manurhin has the loaded or unloaded indication pin under the rear sight. The old .22 doesn't.
The Manurhin has the loaded or unloaded indication pin under the rear sight. The old .22 doesn't.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: Two Walther PP pistols.

Post by Niner » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:54 pm

The front sight picture isn't the one I wanted. The Manuhrin is taller slightly but the Walther .22 is actually longer in length.

Another for the hell of it addition. There is a bb gun Walther PP sold by Crossman under license from Walther and made in Japan. It has the distinct slide action cycle when fired.
Attachments
The one I left out of the previous post.
The one I left out of the previous post.
bbgun.jpg
closed.jpg
IMGP2900.jpg
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Re: Two Walther PP pistols.

Post by Karl/Pa. » Fri May 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Great comparison. I have the twin of your Manhurin, I like the idea of having the same pistol in different calibers. Guess I'll have to get the BB gun.

Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.