SOG DP Rifles

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

smle cat

SOG DP Rifles

Post by smle cat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Hello everyone, I purchased some of the SOG DP rifles, ( thinking about parts) and though they are DP rifles I think I ended up with a few that I'll clean up and put to the side. They are as follows: 1908 Enfield No.1 MkIII, 1912 LSA No.1MkIII, 1915BSA No.1MkIII*, 1916 Enfield No.1MkIII star, with star barred out, and a 1943 GRI No.1MkIII*: the stocks appear to have been scraped which left ridges that I'll have to clean up, most of the metal is in excellent condition. They have a white band painted around the upper end of the stock, a couple have white DP painted on the buttstock. Not sure what the stripe means, maybe someone in the forum has some info. I guess being a DP rifle is part of their history so they'll probably stay that way. Thanks for reading this post.
Aughnanure

Re: SOG DP Rifles

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:07 am

Welcome smle cat,

Any chance of some pictures?
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:56 am

I've read that a white ban around both the butt and the forestock meant that the DP was provided by the Army and ones with just the front band were provided as cadet training rifles by the RAF.

I wouldn't try shooting any of them. Even if the bore is not blocked and the bolt seems to work. Often they had various cuts made in them that made them unsafe, or even dangerous to shoot.

edit:

Here is where I found the white band information....although this page is about No. 4's and may or may not be true about the previous MKIII's.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/L59A1_and_A2_DP_Rifles.htm
smle cat

Post by smle cat » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:07 am

I have a few pics, not really good though. The later pics are the 1908 Enfield , it's been cleaned up already. The stock on it looked liked the others in the group.
Attachments
MVC-063F.JPG
MVC-062F.JPG
MVC-061F.JPG
MVC-060F.JPG
MVC-059F.JPG
MVC-058F.JPG
MVC-057F.JPG
MVC-056F.JPG
MVC-055F.JPG
MVC-054F.JPG