Veterans and guns

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Niner
Site Admin

Veterans and guns

Post by Niner » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:30 pm

A friend of mine who is the ordinal chicken little sent me one of those emails that said that some guy going to a VA doctor was asked some questions that if he hadn't answered correctly would have meant the VA would report him to some government entity who would see that he couldn't have a concealed gun permit.

I went looking online and...although the story my friend sent me that is passing around is probably some creative writing, there was a study among some veterans at a hospital in 2002 that concludes:
Key Points
* Combat veterans with chronic PTSD own more guns and report more potentially dangerous firearm-related behaviors than other study subjects.
* Combat veterans with chronic PTSD reported higher levels of aggression and hostility than other study subjects.
* Questions regarding gun usage should be a standard portion of the medical history for Veterans Affairs patients in general, but especially for Veterans Affairs patients with chronic, combat-related PTSD.

The link is here:
http://journals.lww.com/smajournalonlin ... ree.6.aspx

I guess the bottom line is...who is to determine who is a danger to society and what power will authorities eventually have and what limits or appeal will be put in place if such a thing happens.