Bllank cartridges in Australia

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

Leading Member

Bllank cartridges in Australia

Post by 24626151 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:16 am

I have been asked to ship to Oz some Dummy Launcher Blanks in .22rf for a dummy launcher the customer wants to buy.
Now Ive checked the wierd Au Gov customs website and launchers are exempt prohibition but ammunition and components generally requires a license.
Can anyone tell me if blanks specifically .22rf are a controlled item in Oz? If so then I understand the buyyer will need to get a permit to collect from customs or buy locally.
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com
Aughnanure

Re: Bllank cartridges in Australia

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:32 pm

I'd say 'Yes' as they'd be live ammunition and in some States even fired cases require a license; Customs is Federal and so must cover all States.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Never seen anything specifically on the subject but if ammunition and the components thereof are controlled then I would imagine blanks are controlled and would require a permit.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
DocAV

Post by DocAV » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:21 am

I have already replied directly to the original Poster of this query, but here is the Gist of the situation>
Importation of any ammunition, components, (incl projectiles, cases etc) is controlled by several administrations: Firstly, Australian Customs will not let the stuff in unless there is a Commonwealth A-G permit to import, and also Permits from relevant State Depts ( either Police Firearms Section or State Explosives Dept. ( part of Mines and Energy.)
Further, if the ammuniton is Firearms related, then the relevant firearms licence must be held ( Industrial Cartridge driven tools are covered by other legislation).
IN Queensland, for instance, the Importer must have an Explosives dept. "Licence to Import Explosives" but a One-off "Permit to import" can also be obtained.
Both require a lengthy Security check (BY Police and ASIO, the national secret intelligence agency). Then if it is for one's own use, no further licence is required;( except the firearms lic.) but if one is intending to sell on, then a "licence to sell" is required, and depending on Quantity, a "Licence to store" as well.
The Firearms Licence allows ownership and use and storage up to 10,000 rounds of ammo or primers; up to 15 kg of smokeless Powder, and up to 5 kg of Black Powder (cumulative); projectiles and empty cases are not required to be licensed in Qld. IN other states, they may be.

Despite the much vaunted "National Uniform Gun laws"...they are certainly NOT uniform and NOT national: each state has niggling differances, NO real reciprocity, and even Customs has difficulty controlling what can come in and what can't, from state to state.

So, there you have it ( FYI to non Aussie members.)

regards,
Doc AV
AV Blankfire Pty.ltd. ( Film Ordnance Services)
Brisbane Australia
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 am

Looks like a definite "forget it" to me. :loco:
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:19 am

I'd even call it a "don't even think about it".
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Leading Member

Post by 24626151 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:04 am

The buyer dropped it, or at least cant be arsed to follow it up!
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy!
http://bashingbambi.blogspot.com