Patrimoine

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Patrimoine

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:43 pm

Took this yesterday in the market in Blaye using my new smartphone..............

The unit is a depiction on the French Army of the XVIII Century although I can't find out which unit they represent nor do I recognize the long-arms they are carrying. They may be M1763 smoothbore muskets which were one of the later modifications to the 1728 pattern model French Infantry Musket which ended with the 1777 Charleville.

HOWEVER! I am not sure about the weapon, any thoughts?
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Dave 101
Moderator Sponsor 2011,12,13,14

Re: Patrimoine

Post by Dave 101 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:47 pm

Very colourful uniform , not to many smiley faces though .

Dave
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:07 pm

That is one smart phone!

Great picture, I don't know enough about French arms to hazard a guess but I did notice that the chap, left front, has differences in his uniform to the others and must be at least a Caporal.
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:37 am

Here is another shot but I am not sure it will help any!!

Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:14 am

Having delved into my memory and my copious notes (plus an illuminating visit to David Pedersolli).

I declare for the "1777 Corrigé An IX"
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:49 am

Yes, I think you are right Eoin, g0od work...................
Duncan

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:25 am

A bit more information............
The website of the regiment "Royal Écossais" http://regimentsdupasse.net/Bienvenue.html

Google Translate of the history.

The order of 1 August 1744 authorizes Lord John from Perth to raise a regiment which was renamed Royal Scots. It is barely 500 men when he joined the army of Flanders. It stands at the headquarters of Tournai and then participated in the sieges of Ghent, Oudenarde, Ostend and Nieuport, and our Scottish practice the "small war".
Louis XV decided to help the pretender Charles Edward Stuart, who landed in Scotland August 19, 1745, raised the country and won successes against English troops. But the French expedition is a red herring; the king says a thousand men to Lord Drummond of Perth, including our 647 strong men who arrive in Scotland on December 7 to reinforce the army of the Pretender Royal Scots. It is destroyed on April 10 at the Battle of Culloden. The Regiment bravely protects retirement Highlanders and gets a capitulation with "honors of war."
The Royal Scots revert to France.
In spring 1747, he joined the army of the Earl of Lowendal and participated in the siege of Berg Op Zom September 16, 1747.
He also participated in the surrender of Maastricht May 7, 1748, ending the War of the Austrian Succession.
At the outbreak of the Seven Years' War, the regiment was in camp in Calais and is assigned to monitor the coast until May 1760; it is then sent to Germany until the signing of the peace preliminaries in November 1762.
The Minister of War, the Duke of Choiseul limits the number of regiments.
The order of September 21, 1762 dismissing the regiment Royal Scots and pays its entirety in the Irish Regiment Burkeley.
:FRA:
Duncan