MAS 36 has hairline crack behind tang

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

dou Jim

MAS 36 has hairline crack behind tang

Post by dou Jim » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:17 pm

My recently acquired 1946 Mas 36 has a hairline crack 5/8 " in length behind the tang at dead center. It's the original stock ( serial # matches receiver) and there is no gap at all between tang & stock. It apparently was reworked in 60's as the bore is pristine ( G on bbl) and finish is nice parkerized. This is the first MAS 36 I have seen and I need to know if they normally have a small gap between the tang & stock. The slab sides of the receiver also contact the stock and I thought perhaps the design negated the need for the gap. If it ain't broke, I don't want to fix it. I shoot all my rifles and am putting them in shape for my grand children so if necessary I'll add the gap and some acuglas reinforcement. Sorry I don't have pics now as my camera lost it viewfinder and is at Cannon Shop. Thanks for any suggestions.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: MAS 36 has hairline crack behind tang

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Welcome to the site Dou Jim. Good to see your first post.

Lots of the M36's that came into this country about fifteen years ago by the boat load were a hodgepodge of serial numbers in each rifle. Can't remember the reason given by those in the know back then. Could have gone through some Communist block country and the Commies liked to take every batch of guns they came to apart and then put them back together with whatever parts came out of the box next. Making something wooden crack wouldn't have been a surprise. Just about all the parts on my rifle with serial numbers show different numbers. However, mine shoots just fine. Here is a photo of mine where the butt joins the metal. No gap is the norm....although I'm not sure what you are thinking of as a gap.
Attachments
DSC04128.jpg
dou Jim

Post by dou Jim » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 pm

Thanks Niner for your response & photo . I was looking for about a 1/16th gap that is on my other bolt actions.
Your photo is the same as my mas 36 & even seems to have a hairline crack on center of the stock behind tang.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:28 pm

The only real complaint I have with my MAS 36 is that the ammo is expensive. And yes....looks like I got a hairline crack too. :bigsmile:
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:50 am

As a general rule all rounded/pointed tangs should be relieved by, say 5 thou, so that the recoil force can be taken elsewhere; if there is no 'elsewhere' then...stiff!!
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
dou Jim

Post by dou Jim » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:38 am

Thank you Aughnanure - your answer supports my thinking. Unless someone comes forth with a valid reason for not providing an appropriate gap on a MAS 36, I will do so before firing my new rifle. Not only have I learned a ton about my new rifle on this forum, I have also learned that posts will be answered without the arrogance and ridicule that I found on another forum. When I get my camera back I'll post photos of my MAS 36.
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:58 pm

Whilst this is a far cry from a MAS 36 it does illustrate the point (pun!!) about tangs and I'd be willing to bet (but not much) that experience was behind the squared tang on the Brown Bess.

and an original

Illustrations from http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket6.htm
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
dou Jim

Post by dou Jim » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Thanks for the Brown Bess photos- I wonder how many stocks would have been saved if we had stuck to the square tang. The beautiful wood to metal fit probably had something to do with their survival also.