Chinese SKS with PU mount

The forum for comments about auto rifles with military connections.
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Chinese SKS with PU mount

Post by NLMosin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:02 am

Just got this SKS. Its got a PU scope mount with an Ultralux scope. Here are some pics. Hope this is the right forum.
wholerifle.jpg
wholerifle.jpg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
scopemount.jpg
scopemount.jpg (75.67 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
sks_serial.jpg
sks_serial.jpg (31.69 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
rear sight.jpg
rear sight.jpg (55.76 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
recieverback.jpg
recieverback.jpg (63.78 KiB) Viewed 8580 times
Looking for a 1960 T53. Always wanted a Mosin as old as I am.... :lol:
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Re: Chinese SKS with PU mount

Post by NLMosin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:54 am

Just found out the the scope mount was put on by the importer, in this case AAI-NKC-MO. Still its something that is collectible so I wont hack it up and sport it...who am I kiddin, I will never sport an old rifle...sacrilege!

I did shoot it yesterday and it stays zero(as best as my shootin can tell..LoL). The PU style is probably one of the better ways to scope an SKS in my opinion.

Heres Tula Ammo at 50 yards at a 5.5" target. I couldnt be happier. I'll dial it in over time...dont know where the 10th round went. :oops:

Compared to the kick from shooting my mosins this thing kicks like a 22.
sks_first_rounds.jpg
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:18 pm

Looks like you are getting the hang of it Nick. :D
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:41 pm

That scope mount is more military looking than the usual ones you see that are made as bolt cover replacements.

Looks like pretty good shooting for an SKS. My feeling has been they were never meant as pinpoint accurate shooters but as near range lead slingers in third world conflicts until the AK47's arrived with a faster rate of fire option and about the same modest accuracy. No self respecting wacko revolutionary today would carry one if there were an AK variant or US weapon around.

I almost brought one back from Cambodia during the incursion in 1970. I was with some guys that found a large stash of them. But....the rule was for the Incursion... no trophies... all of the weapons had to be turned over for the press time show and tell. Another reason I never liked Nixon.
NLMosin
Site Sponsor 2015

Post by NLMosin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:45 pm

I have read posts which say the SKS is pretty accurate up to 200 yards. I guess I'll see if I can confirm that when I get some more x39's. I want to get a tuna can of Romanian ammo. Then I can add a Romanian can to my collection. ;)
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:01 am

That is a nice scope setup, and I agree it's one of the best. Can you still use stripper clips, looks
like it would be close. My scope mount is one that is said to be problematic by the "experts" on
most of the SKS forum sites. It did give me problems until I realized it had "self-loosening" screws
that held the scope rail to the mount. But red Loctite seems to have cured that, and it hasn't been
a problem the last 2 times out, so I guess time will tell.
This is an 8" target I shot yesterday at 50 yards, mind you the rifle was clamped in my bench rest,
the targets I shot just using the front rest were not so good. But as you can see, the rifle is capable
of shooting a lot better than I am and so far I'm happy with its accuracy. It's a just for fun plinking
rifle, I won't starve if I can't hit anything.......... :cool:
Oh, that's 30 rounds in the target, and the "10" ring is 2.5" across and furthest holes, top one and
bottom one, are 3.5" c-c apart. I bet your rifle will do the same.
Attachments
5-30-15.jpg
sc6.jpg
sc7.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Brass Rat
Leading Member

Post by Brass Rat » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:54 pm

If you want to impress your buddies get an AK and a bunch of 40 round mags, if you actually want to be able to hit your target you need an SKS. I have Chinese, Albanian, and Yugo SKS's and it is amazing how accurate they are out to 200 yards.

My Albanian was one of AIM's $89 shooters (read ugly as hell) special from 10 or so years ago.

We have since added a 2" butt pad and one of those Tech sights that mounts to the rear of the bolt cover and it is one of our favorite plinkers. It is always a big hit on our annual Scout shooting trips.
Retired Systems Engineer
Full time Grandpa to

James 16
Angela 15
Khaley 5
Kendall 4
Loralai 2