Ammo!

The country that avoids war and the country that fights but has a hard time winning have been combined. The Swiss made some excellent firearms and the French made some unique and occasionally inspiring ones. We have added the Belgian and Dutch since they are neighbors.

Moderator: ArchFluffy

ArchFluffy

Ammo!

Post by ArchFluffy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Bought some ammo for the Swiss rifles.

Yay!

-Fluffy

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Ammo!

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Typical Swiss presentation - looks like it isn't meant to be opened :lol: :lol:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:43 pm

For what it probably cost...maybe it shouldn't be opened but kept in a safety deposit box.

Just kidding...kinda. Maybe reloading is the Swiss answer.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:32 pm

Nice box!! When I order ammo, it comes in a plain cardboard box........ :cool:

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:48 pm

Yeah, the Swiss make some nice things and it looks like that includes ammo cases. And you are very correct; I don't want to open it. It just looks too nice. :lol: I see that there is one fore sale (just the box) on ebay.

Reloading the Swiss brass would be nicer if it were boxer primed. Prying, hydro-popping (made up a term!) would not be so bad if I could find the berdan primers easily/cheaply.

Other ammunition that I buy goes in those metal ammo cans. I try to make them look good too. :cool:

-Fluffy

DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:34 am

Good one Arch :D :D :SWI:
Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:59 am

I hadn't investigated Swiss ammo... but why isn't it new made boxer primed? Surplus military ammo I can see being a problem.
Karl/Pa.
Leading Member

Post by Karl/Pa. » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:27 pm

Some here for $35 per thousand

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reload/berd ... -sale.aspx

or here:

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/deta ... e-primers/

Great article here:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/berdan ... sions.html

Forum posting:
I had some berdan 7.62x51 cases in my tool box,I had heard of the water filled case with a rod to drive out the primer hydraulic method...
Just playing I filled a case with hydraulic oil and cut off a 5/16 bolt above the threads and the shank was a tight fit in the neck,I placed a paper towel over the bolt and gave it a rap with a small hammer and the primer popped out sweet as could be =No spray of oil either..I then tried water and Its so thin it splattered all over me,,

OR CONVERT THEM TO BOXER:

http://www.russianreloads.com/
Karl

Medicare Life Member

Ban grated cheese. Make America grate again.
ArchFluffy

Post by ArchFluffy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Even though it looks new it's still surplus.

Time to get educated, kids. Take a look at the following pic:

This is an air tight "battle pack". Plastic on the inside surface. The label is packed with info. The 60 is how many rounds (there are six 10 round boxes). In little letters above the 60 tell us that this was made at the plant at Anzahl. To the right of the 60 is the bullet diameter of 7.5mm followed by a breakdown in German, French, and Italian (the three principle languages in Switzerland) saying it is ammo type 11. The Swiss settled on 7.5X55mm for military use in 1911. Then a big fat military ID number that I see on all the Swiss Military ammo. Last is the date: 7 6 1978 - June 7, 1978 The "A" has to do with where a component was made I think. I have read brass and bullet. Either way, it was also made at A for Anzahl.

And because quality control is good we can see that it was sealed up at 1:29pm. :!:

Now with your new knowledge you can check out the pick of the crate at the top on the thread. with just a little squinting you can see the ammo count and when it was made. Interactive!

The Swiss did start some new production in 2016. Yay! But it is also berdan primed. But... Karl has me thinking it could be pretty re-loadable. Hmmmmm. ;)

Meow!

-Fluffy
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:43 am

I just did a comparison of the dims of Issue and PPU rounds in 7.5x55 Swiss for when I start to reload and thought it might be interesting.

:SWI:
Duncan