11-11-2023

This is a place for veterans of military service to remember and reflect. War time or peace. Any service.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

11-11-2023

Post by DuncaninFrance » Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:41 am

In my my local village before we moved. I am a member of the Ancients Combatant's there and lay a wreath on 11th November and 8th May every year. This year I was short of Wreaths so made one myself. I bet my order for replacements arrives on Monday!
Attachments
St Androny 11-11-23.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: 11-11-2023

Post by Niner » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:32 am

Looks like you put some thought into what you crafted. I respect how much you feel obligated to remember the war dead of WWI and WWII. They actually died to protect their countries. In the US, the poppies thing isn't popular but I think from what I see on facebook maybe more Americans are adopting that symbol of remembrance on Veterans day or Memorial Day or whatever else. We are caught up every so many months in publicly reverent national remembrance of those who gave service to their country, including many who lost their lives or were seriously wounded and, at the same time, each occasion dedicated to glorifying war by implication at least.

The "Republican Debate" the other night showed the main contenders, other than absent Trump, all rabidly in favor of wars with Russia and wars for Israel and against Iran and probably a half dozen other named and unnamed countries while at the same time expecting to attack China if they don't do our bidding and salivating on the likelihood that China will be the really big show when we get around to fighting them. Biden and the Democrats are just as hungry for a new war so much that one war isn't enough. The last two world wars were such fun I guess. And...wars are good for full employment and the war material industry.

I was talking to some of my old Vietnam buddies the other night on what is a regular Thursday night chat. We didn't mention the national holiday for veterans other than one of the guys said he was going to check out the restaurant free meal thing in his home town. Seems that is a big deal now for restaurants to offer veterans free meals on Veterans day. Commercialized thank you for your service stuff. The rest of us weren't interested.

It always crosses my mind on a day like today, that more men have died in battle because of their countries than died for their countries. Bad wars....like every last one since WWII ... generally weren't fought to keep the homeland of any of the soldiers "free" but because politicians don't mind donating the blood of the people they should be protecting from wars to their insane love for war.