Anglo / American / Australian Translator.

This forum is a Moderator choice forum for moving posts that exibit particularly outstanding contributions of information about firearms. Only posts that move past the main page make it here for a second look by choice of the moderators.

Moderators: DuncaninFrance, Niner Delta, Niner, joseyclosey, Miller Tyme, PeterN2, dhtaxi, Aughnanure, blackisler

Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:12 am

"...Which word is interesting in itself as our ancestors, and in some more remote parts of Britain some people possibly still do go down to the bog.
Of course in Australia we never did go down to the bog...it's too bloody dry..."
Eoin,

"Bog" is itself a contraction of "boggard" which Halliwell defines as "A Jakes" - jakes itself being a term for a latrine.

Now, does anyone know the origin of 'Khasi'/'Kharzi'?

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
dogbolt
Regular visitor

Post by dogbolt » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:29 am

You're reference to "Kharzi" might have been basterdised indian speak from the troops that were stationed there in the days of the Raj. Like the euphamism for tea as "cha" or the original Indian word "chai" (pronounced chy).
dogbolt
Regular visitor

Post by dogbolt » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:30 am

You're reference to "Kharzi" might have been basterdised indian speak from the troops that were stationed there in the days of the Raj. Like the euphamism for tea as "cha" or the original Indian word "chai" (pronounced chy).
riptidenj
Contributing Member

A "Senior Wrangler"

Post by riptidenj » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:42 pm

I think this is an English academic term referring to a member of a debating team. Anyone?
Tom-May
Leading Member

Post by Tom-May » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:50 am

riptidenj,
"...Post subject: A "Senior Wrangler"

I think this is an English academic term referring to a member of a debating team. Anyone? ..."
I can't help with your question, but dare I hazard a guess that you read Terry Pratchett novels?

Regards

Tom
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))
riptidenj
Contributing Member

Post by riptidenj » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:14 pm

Actually I saw this term in the book "The Patriotic Traitors" by David Littlejohn. He was discussing the character of Vidkun Quisling, the Norwegian Nazi leader. Littlejohn noted that Quisling was a very intelligent

but impractical man, and he said "he would have made an excellent Senior Wrangler."
Aughnanure

Post by Aughnanure » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:58 am

Be all that as it may, my reference to 'spending a penny' brought back this memory from childhood/youth.

On the back of just about every public convenience (now there's a euphemism) door, among other jems of wit and wisdom, there was always this lament.

'"Here I sit,

Broken hearted.

Paid my penny,

And only farted".

Eoin.
Dave_n

Post by Dave_n » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:00 pm

If memory serves me correctly, a "Senior Wrangler" was the term for the senior security guard (in modern terms) but in the days when it was used, it referred to the people whose job it was to bring errant undergraduates at "Oxbridge" to their dean for suitable chastizement following too many pints! Dave_n
Niner
Site Admin

Welcome to the site Dave_N

Post by Niner » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Always good to see a new poster who has something interesting to offer.
BOLOMK1
Sustaining Member

Please to explain

Post by BOLOMK1 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Pr'haps this is too elementary but it bothers me constantly.

Regarding the term "Bloody"

A.Does it have anything to do with "The Gunpowder Plot" and the execution of the conspirators?

B.Why was/is it in poor taste to use in polite company?(Or is it)

C.Does its usage/meaning change betwixt the UK/Oz/Eire/Scotland?

Ok,I am prepared to be educated or immolated by your collective erudition.

Simple John