1947 Izhevsk PU sniper rifle

This is a place to post about the classic Russian bolt action rifle.

Moderator: Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme
Moderator Sponsor 2013,2014,2015

1947 Izhevsk PU sniper rifle

Post by Miller Tyme » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:28 pm

I finally received my latest sniper rifle and am very pleased with it and am also happy with finding something with this rifle that dispels to me any notion that these rifles are “manufactured” at Molot for the U.S. collector market.

I will start by saying it’s a 47 Izhevsk PU sniper that has been refurbed and is in a war time stock and has shims where the action screws pass through. The rifle is all Izhevsk parts except for the forward barrel band and the bolt head, both of which are Tula’s. Additionally the original scope number has been scrubbed and the new scope number has been stamped in its place. What I found most interesting is the deep bluing on the barreled action which would lead many to believe it was scrubbed at Molot and restamped by them, except that when you pull the barreled action from the stock there is some minor pitting in 2 spots about a 5/16” in diameter that has obviously been there for some time. Since the bluing is even as shows no signs of being touched up one has to believe the scope numbers where added quite some time ago.
The only visible import marks are the small Molot diamonds on the top of the tang and the under side of the bolt, the import S/N on the r/h side of the receiver by the bolt, and the Group West import stamp under the barrel. There is an additional Molot import stamp under the hand guard. The shellac is typical Russian and is cracked and pealing and the scope is an undated Progress.

All in all I am quite pleased to add this to my collection and to close out my group of 47 Izhevsk’s.

“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin