Thinking about a change

Members please check here for useful information about site features. New members introduce yourself here as your first post if you like.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

Thinking about a change

Post by Niner » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:46 pm

This site has been here for about 20 years. Back once upon a time when lots of imports were coming in at affordable prices there were lots of users. Then, after a few site crashes and rebuilds that ran many off to other places the participation fell off. Now days it's at rock bottom....although we get relatively good viewing. There are 47 looking at the site at the moment....at ten minutes to midnight. Of course they could all be bots looking for a place to plant some spam....and finding it difficult because of a few not altogether invulnerable protections. But some may be gleaning information and not wanting to at least say they are here.

I'm thinking of making this site members who are logged in only who can see it to see if that would inspire some activity. A personal site for a few members might not be all bad. An exclusive club of a sort .....although few at the moment want to join it.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: Thinking about a change

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:14 am

Whatever direction you want to go Robert, noi problem :) :)
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:54 am

I have no notion of membership fees or advertising fees or any of that. Only notion is to at least see what value the site has now days that isn't apparent to me. Any registered user who is logged in should have no difficulty seeing anything posted and all it costs is taking the time to log in.

I'm still undecided. Any opinions are welcome.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:16 pm

You know me, I would hate to see it go. I also hated to see the 6/31st site go, but I do understand some of
the logistics of keeping these going. I can't find how to donate?

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:41 am

There is no donate link. That was on the 6/31st which is now gone. I think I mentioned something about donate if you want in the main announcement but probably shouldn't have. Forget about donating anything. The site is not in danger of going away from lack of money but from lack of interest.

I just took that donate part out of the new announcement.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:13 pm

You know I'm always ready to donate if needed.

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:47 am

I can spare a few quid! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Attachments
£3-NOTE.jpg
£3-NOTE.jpg (680.64 KiB) Viewed 78952 times
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:22 am

Thanks Duncan but the only thing I'm after is that the site remains of interest for a while longer. You and Niner Delta are, and have been, the sites best participants and supporters over a lot of years. That's worth a lot to me. You need not donate any money, although I know you both have done so in the past. It's not about money and never has been.

This is just an experiment now to see if there are some people interested in what this site contains enough to participate....or to at least login to see what it now hides to the passing parade.
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:57 pm

I confess to not being here as much as I should since I retired.
It is a wonderful site, and I mainly read when I am here, since my knowledge is not up to the level of some of the guys.
There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:22 pm

Glad to see you rice paddy daddy. I know you go back a long way with this site. Good to see you still take a look at it now and again.