Anybody collect typewriters?

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

Niner
Site Admin

Anybody collect typewriters?

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:08 pm

I'd guess of the few of us still posting here the answer would be no. However, there are people who do. I saw such a page on Facebook and joined when I thought about an old typewriter I had out in the garage suffering from the humid climate and the blown in dust and now growing rust... and that's not counting the rat droppings.

First thing I did was hose it off... pretty dust and dirt accumulated. Probably not something a true collector would do...but whatever. I took some photos and went online to see what I could learn. And... bingo... there is nothing that somebody hasn't added to the internet about anything I'd imagine and Underwood typewriters are not ignored with lots of informational sites. Turned out the Underwood No. 5 is a model that had about in as much production over a century as the commies produced AK47's and Mosin Nagants in fewer years. But... it was a heavy well made work horse that was the popular model for lots of years. I didn't weigh it but from having lifted it I'd peg it at maybe 20 pounds. No government office would have been without one for decades in the 20th century. The one I have I think was government surplus, although I bought it from my neighbor at the time.....30 plus years ago.

After doing my due diligence investigation...or half ass'd short time research, I found by the serial number it was made between 1962 and 1963. I also found that, if it were in good condition, it could be worth between $50 and $100 to a collector wanting one for his collection. Unfortunately, the rust and lack of care would place mine more in the nature of a make do boat anchor. This would probably bring "serious" collectors to tears to think it may be valued as a boat anchor....but..... I can feel their pain thinking about gun collectors seeing someone suggest using a Mosin Nagant as a tomato stake.
Attachments
two.jpg
Aughnanure

Re: Anybody collect typewriters?

Post by Aughnanure » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:09 pm

I still have a electric typewriter and use it occasionally.
Mechanical typewriters seem to last forever, years ago a friend had a small museum devoted to Colonial history, and he acquired an unused Remington of late 19C vintage, all shining black paint, red lettering and gold lining.
It was like new except that the rubber roller had grown to near double its original size.
He took it to a firm that repaired typewriters on the off chance that they might fix it.
Chap took a look at it and called to someone out back, “Bring us a roller for a Remington model - -“
The mate was amazed and they told him that there were hundreds of that model still in use

Before the days of planed obsolescence.😀😀
Self Defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Eoin.
Niner Delta
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by Niner Delta » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:33 pm

I'm not really a collector, but up until about 15 or 20 years ago I had my folks old, Smith Corona I think,
that my older sister and I both used in high school. Probably just kept it as a family thing, not sure what ever
happened to it.
I remember using carbon paper and these round erasers with the little brush ..... and later Whiteout. ...... :lol:

50.jpg
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:16 pm

Spell check and printers probably did something to the white out market stock price...maybe it isn't even made any longer. Wonder if they still make erasers of any kind?
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:31 am

Erasers - Rubbers over here! Yes still plenty around and the 'White Stuff' - Tipex - I still have some and use it every now and then.
Screen-Shot-10-02-23.jpg
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:51 pm

It seems that BIC now makes it, but it's called Wite-Out now or Correction Fluid. And the inventor of the
original Liquid Paper was Bette Nesmith Graham, the mother of Michael Nesmith of the Monkees fame.
Was white out a generic term or was it ever a brand name?

:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:47 am

Always know as Tipp-Ex here Vern although I also remember Snowpake...........
Attachments
13139 correction fluid 20ml.jpg
13139 correction fluid 20ml.jpg (10.23 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.