New topics related to guns?

This is the forum for general Milsurp gun topics that don't fit some place else.

Moderator: Niner

Niner
Site Admin

New topics related to guns?

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:36 pm

Looks like nothing is happening. How about... anybody who is still here... posting something gun related? I'll try to post something , that maybe somewhat like something before, to try to say something about guns we collect and why it fascinates us for some reason.
Niner
Site Admin

Re: New topics related to guns?

Post by Niner » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:08 pm

Here is a start pulled from a folder without thinking about it as anything in particular before pulling it. Just what came to hand literally. Anybody buy one of these back whenever?

Anybody remember anything about Samco? I do. I remember one particular thing that used to cause a detonation of accusation of bullshit merchandising on multiple messageboards way back when .
Attachments
img628.jpg
765mm

Post by 765mm » Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:18 am

I like those prices, much more reasonable than today.
But there are still deals out there, I recently picked up an 1867 Werndl rifle a few weeks back at an auction for $100.

It was the last gun sold, they almost forgot about it because they hung it on the wall above the ammo table instead of putting it in with the others, and when they went to sell it they didn't know what it was so they just called it an old army gun.
Full.jpg
I think I'll hang it above the door in the living room.

25 or 35 years ago, the selection of milsurps was outstanding, I wish I had saved some of the Shotgun News' that I got every week just to make the kids envious today. :D

You'd walk into a show and need a shopping cart for all the great deals but unfortunately my money was always lacking so I left the shopping cart at home and brought a stroller instead.

Today there are still good deals, but you have to look harder for them instead of going to the bazaar to fill up your cart, you have to go on the hunt and stalk your prey.
You won't find the deals on Gunbroker or other places on the internet usually, the deals are at the little auction houses estate sales, yard sales and etc.

Just to illustrate, recently I have picked up,

1867 Werndl rifle $100 in good condition
1891 Peruvian Mauser $165 fair condition
1903 Colt 32 acp $325 excellent condition

and those came from 3 different auctions.

THE DEALS ARE STILL OUT THERE!!!
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Sat Dec 23, 2023 12:09 pm

Now that's encouraging to find there are still some finds at affordable prices out there. I've not tried out any auctions just to see what is happening.

That 1867 rifle is an amazing find. If you sign up for sales emails from ....maybe just are found by.... IMA, you will see what top retail is on a lot of old weapons that years ago would have been the kind that you and I bought in the big import years for $100 more or less.