info from South Africa

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Serenity
Regular visitor

info from South Africa

Post by Serenity » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:39 pm

So I sent some emails off and got a reply form an Anglo Boer war museum this is what I got
This Mauser is one of the last batch to arrive in the OVS in about 1897.After that date,imports was difficult,close to impossible,as the arms had to pass through British ports like Cape Town.

The early batch Mausers were narked "Ludwig Loewe Berlin", but the factory changed its name in 1894 to "Deutsche Waffen und Munition Fabrik Berlin".The reason was that Loewe was Jewish and in order to secure contracts from the government in Berlin,changed the name to a more patriotic one.The serial number on your Mauser is rather high,therefore indicative of the fact that it was some of the last imported.The rifles from the 9000 series up never reached the OVS, but was sold to Chile in 1900 and remarked with the Chilean arms on the reciever.

The carving on the but is a common means the Boers used to identify their arms,and mostly consisted of their names.Examples do excist that very ornately carved.The carving on your rifle might stand for PH Kotze,but thats just a guess on my part.It might also represent the surname of Kok.

Boer Mausers were sought-after trophies by the British soldiers serving in South-Africa.After the big Boer surrenders of Paardeberg and Surrender Hill,vast ammounts of these arms fell into British hands.A great deal of these were sent to England and the colonies as trophies after the war.

Therefore,it is possible that your rifle also got sent home as a throphy.On the Boer POW list there is one Pieter Hendrik Kotze (sometimes spelled Coetzee). He was a Transvaal burger from the Potchefstroom Commando, captured at Paardeberg,27 February 1900 and sent to Greenpoint POW camp.Altought the rifle is a Free State Mauser,it is very probable that a Transvaal burger could have fought with one, as General Cronje had a vast ammount of arms and war material from the arsenal in Bloemfontein with him.Furthermore,the Potchefstroom Commando recieved the brunt of the British artillery attack during the Battle of Magersfontein,which led to many being left with damadged firearms,that they exchanged for newer ones.

So,it is very possible that this rifle belonged to burger Pieter Hendrik Kotze.The other possible owner is one Pieter Hendrik Kok, a Free Stater from the Harrismith Commando.He is given as having surrendered at Surrender Hill.
this was a great help thanks to mr Johan Wolfaardt
Attachments
DSC05687.JPG
ooooooooow whats this........... oh no............. hide it!!!!!
Niner
Site Admin

Now that's great

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Good to see that he responded and in such researched detail as to offer information on possible owners.
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:52 am

Ask and ye shall receive Damon. :D
ImageImage
Dalkowski110
Contributing Member

Post by Dalkowski110 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:44 am

Congratulations! Excellent info! :D
-J.W.

By the way, interested in fine C&R Sporting Arms and C&R American factory sporting rifles? Go here...

http://www.milsurpshooter.net/forums/131

...new members are always welcome!
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:59 am

Have you tried this lot:

http://www.saaaca.org.za/

I have had some decent dealings with them, it was a few years ago now though.
ImageImage
Serenity
Regular visitor

Post by Serenity » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:47 pm

i think that saaaca was the in i got my first info off. johan was really quick i think i only sent the email 2 or 3 days ago. i get to try these 2 tomorrow weather allowing coz am taking after you with this one dromia i ante getting her wet lol and unfortunatly the weather ante looking to good for tomorrow so might only get to try the Portuguese mauser and now ave loaded my own the yugo might work :lol: :lol: ow and i only got 19 rounds for the ovs thats all we had no brass or bullets in stock lol al have to make them last lol
Serenity
Regular visitor

Post by Serenity » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:13 pm

it snowed it rained it blew like hell and a just managed to fire both of them but no pics me batts died but they both great unfortunatly the i tryed the ovs a 200 hundred yards first and it grouped good but not on target i got to fire the portugese at 100 yards and that grouped great on target lol even the yugo worked and well with the reloads
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:06 pm

Thats some good info on your rifle Damon, congratulations. :D

Bit cold to be going shooting today mind :mrgreen:

Joe ;)
dhtaxi

Post by dhtaxi » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:47 pm

I just looked out of the window and its snowing here.
Serenity
Regular visitor

Post by Serenity » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:56 am

wraped warm lol and it was freezing lol