GOTM JUNE

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

GOTM JUNE

Post by Woftam » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:45 am

This months GOTM is a little different in that I’m looking for information rather than dishing it out. Subject gun is a BSA single shot in .22LR I picked up recently due to the current gun amnesty. Excuse the crappy indoor photography, weather isn't particularly good here at the moment.

As I am unlikely to have the time to investigate it I’m going to tap into the collective expertise on this forum in the hope of finding some information. Looking for information on Model designation, Production period, Collectability (if any), Value range and any other information
The rifle is in fair condition. Blueing is poor. Woodwork is good with one major scratch which will probably come out with some work. Minor rust in various places which should clean up well. Rear of action is drilled and tapped, possibly for a target sight ? Trigger breaks crisply. For the princely sum of $25AUD, I guess I can’t complain too much.
Bolt has a pattern number on it. Bolt handle is reminiscent of the WOP trainers although the bolt itself is a more complex affair. Bolt head is recessed, any ideas on why ? Being a singleshot it can't be controlled feed can it ?
Barrel is stamped with BSA logo, manufacturers information and a serial number plus a proof mark. Also stamped on it are (to the right of the manufacturers details) another number and a further patent number.
Trigger guard is a simple affair. Furniture is held to the action by the rear screw of the trigger guard and the front sling swivel – which screws directly into the barrel. Rear sling swivel holds the trigger guard and is a simple wood screw with a swivel head.
Sights are a very neat rear sight, adjustable for elevation, and a bead front sight. Rear sight still fully functional with a bit of looseness past the 200yd mark. There also appears to be a Patent number stamped on the rear sight. I have been assured the rifle is accurate but as yet haven’t taken it to the range.
Barrel appears appears in good condition. Rifling is good although I haven’t had a real chance to clean and thoroughly inspect it as yet.
One large scratch on the left side near the trigger but I should be able to do something with that.
Further proof marks under the barrel and a stray half H.
No butt plate, the end of the butt is just shaped and grooved. Economy measure indicating an economy gun ? Doesn't fit with the rear sight but that could be a later replacement, especially in light of the two tapped holes at the rear of the action.
OK so that's it. Now what is it ?
My intentions are to spruce it up a bit, clean up the woodwork and the metal work but probably won't reblue it. I think it will make a nice walkabout gun for bunnies up at the mates farm. If it's as accurate as claimed it might get a run on the range for the "Iron sights only" competitions.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
joseyclosey

Re: GOTM JUNE

Post by joseyclosey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:15 am

It looks like you have a BSA miniature rifle model No.2 Graeme. It was introduced into the BSA range as the No1 Model in 1908 to cater for the cheaper end of the sporting rifle market and sold for 35 shillings -£1.75.

A very nice find for the money, and well worth using in the suitable competitions. :D

Joe
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 am

Joe,
thanks very much for the information both here and by PM. Tells me just about all I need to know.

The serial of this rifle certainly fits with the first run (up to 1922), however I suspect the rear sight was a later replacement going by the patent number. I assume the format (P????/43) means the patent was granted in 1943.

Now all I need is a BSA No8 sight for it :roll:
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
ian27
Sustaining Member

Post by ian27 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:23 am

Nice rifle Woftam, haven't seen one of those for years. My Grandfather used to own one, and I remember shooting it when I was a boy. I seem to recall that it would not take the .22LR round and we had to get the .22 short ammo for it. I could be wrong, must ask my father.
Ian

FILL YOUR HANDS YOU SON OF A BITCH !!!
(Marshall Rooster Cogburn)
dromia
Moderator Emeritus

Post by dromia » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:32 am

Here's the link to it's description on the HARC site. I have to say that this site of TOS's is going from strength to strength, its one of the best gun resources on the web in my book.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Model_2.html
ImageImage
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Yep, excellent site, Adam just pipped me to posting that link.

Joe
KCLRPC
Contributing Member

Post by KCLRPC » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:06 pm

I've just gotten hold of Rifle And Carton by E.H. Robinson, and there is a plate of two targets shot out by 'J.H. Cathcart, Dublin Civil Service Rifle Club, at 25 yards, with a B.S.A. No. 2 Model Miniature Rifle.' Out of ten shots, he dropped one point (scoring inwards).

A nice rifle, I look forward to seeing it once you've had the chance to tidy it up

Nick
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:07 pm

Thanks for the link Dromia - I had a quick look around the site but didn't find that page. Answers the question regarding the bolt head and I was right about the similarity to the WOP trainer bolt.

The rear sight also seems to be original to the model. Mention is made of a steel butt plate but mine appears never to have had one.
Still puzzled by the holes in the rear of the action - doesn't seem to fit with any of the sights mentioned.

Ian - the rifle was I believe available in .22Long, .22 Short and .297/230, so your grandads gun probably was .22 Short.

Just got to find the time to devote a little love and attention to it.
Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Woftam » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:08 pm

Have done a bit of cleaning on the rifle as relaxation between sessions at the computer for Uni. Needs another couple of coats of oil. Overall coming along nicely. The wood under all the crud is quite nice.