GOTM SEPT

This is a forum for topics relating to all classic bolt action British design long arms.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Woftam
Moderator Emeritus

GOTM SEPT

Post by Woftam » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:53 am

GOTM SEPT

This months gun is the No8 mark I .22 training rifle. Production of the No8 started in 1950 (this is when it was mentioned in the LoC, but it was actually produced prior to this) and carried through to 1960. Production numbers run to approximately 17,000. Initially produced in two versions (Match and Infantry) they were specifically designed as a target rifle as opposed to a trainer. As well as training they were to be used in the UK for miniature rifle competition. The Match had a longer barrel (by about 5.5 inches) and a different rear sight. The Infantry model was eventually adopted as the No8 MkI.
Built when the No4 was the service rifle most are built on the No4 receiver. However others are built on the No5 receiver. There are also variations in the drilling of holes on the left receiver wall for attaching match sights.
One interesting feature of the No8 is the fact that the rifling is tapered. Skennerton states it is tapered its entire length to be smooth or almost smooth at the muzzle. The explanation offered is that the tapering removes the imprint of the rifling on the projectile and assists accuracy. The leed is also tapered for about half an inch from almost nothing just in front of the chamber
Here is the traditional left and right side on shots. Furniture style is typical match rifle with half stocked fore end and pistol grip butt. Furniture is beech although I believe other timbers were used.
My own rifle is one of a batch of 2,000 produced by BSA in the early 1950’s for New Zealand and all these carry a DA prefix to the serial number. New Zealand markings are also present.
As the rifles were to be used in the miniature rifle competitions the sights were easily interchangeable for match sights. The front sight ears and front sight could be removed as a unit and a suitably dovetailed tunnel foresight substituted. A PH5C can be fitted easily to the rear although the PH5D is the preferred option. The PH5D has its forward mounting arm central to the sight body and attaches to the hole drilled in the charger guide, while the PH5C uses the ejector screw hole.
Under the pistol grip is a recessed brass disc. I believe the same brass disc that was inset into the MkIII butts. Mine carries what I thought was a name and a date. However after many fruitless hours spent researching NZ shooters, shooting competitions and service personnel and posting the information on the net I’ve come to the conclusion it is simply saying there is a bulge in the barrel, which unfortunately there is.
The trigger mechanism is quite complex and can be set for either single or double pressures (match or service) and can be adjusted for weight and length of pull in either configuration. I have never been game enough to adjust it and am quite happy to live with the double pressure service pull.
Unusually for military rifles the No8 is fitted with a rubber butt plate rather than the usual brass or alloy. The butt plate shows significant wear, not surprising given the general condition of the rest of the rifle which is consistent with its life as a training rifle. It is still surprisingly accurate. There is the faint remnants of a large 3 painted in green on the butt, possibly a cadet marking ? The underside of the butt carries a stamping of the part number (CR???), factory code (M47C) and the year (1951).
The right side of the butt socket is almost bare of markings with just 2 crowns.
The standard backsight is based on the service sight but marked for 25, 50, 100 yds and H (for Harmonisation) for use with, I think, landscape targets. Wound up to the H mark I’m told puts the POI 27 inches above the POA. Never tried it myself.
As a single shot rifle there is no magazine just a loading platform. This sits just behind the barrel which protrudes into the action. This means despite its overall length of 41.75 inches it has a barrel length of almost 24 inches.
The bolt is unlike any other Enfield bolt, differing even from the other trainers. It is much shorter and has a distinctive bolt head. The bolt head is flattened on one side and contains a separate offset firing pin. Cocking the weapon is accomplished simply by lifting the bolt, it is not necessary to work the bolt backward then forward, although it helps to do this to actually load the weapon.
Birmingham proof mark on the front of the receiver.
As there is no magazine the magazine well is replaced with a flat plate. The front of the trigger guard is held in place by a target style sling swivel. This means the No8 is one of the few Enfields with three swivels as standard. Removing the plate reveals that without a magazine the fore arm is left intact except for a cutout for part of the trigger mechanism.
The fore end is wide and flat on the bottom as befits a target rifle. The handguard is grooved liked the No4. Naturally it is serialled to the rifle and stamped with the part number. Front band is also marked with the manufacturers code, year and part number.
The inner fore end is heavily worked with a lightening groove running full length (can something be heavily lightened ?) The trigger area is very unlike the No4 with little wood removed in comparison.
The barrel is marked with the ubiquitous part number, date and manufacturers code on the right side. The left side carries the proof marks. On the knox form is this stamp which I can’t locate in my reference books but I’m sure I’ve seen it before.
Well that's it for this month. Sorry it's a bit late this month. There is something just a little bit distracting about your daughter getting married.
The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: GOTM SEPT

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:39 pm

Late or not, a great presentation G. Wish I could get my hands on one over here! :cool:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Tom-May
Leading Member

Re: GOTM SEPT

Post by Tom-May » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:28 am

The No. 8 - That takes me back to my teens.
My old ACF Group headquarters was in a TA centre with its own .22 range, so we were down there at least once a month and the 'issue' .22 rifle for cadets? - The No. 8
I must say that I liked them (even if they were a bit 'clunky; compared to one or two of the private rifles we saw there occasionally) and they were quite capable of hitting a polo mint* at 25 yards.

Tom

* As a practice, we used to balance "Polo" mints (for Americans, I believe the equivalents are "Lifesavers") on the 'falling plate' section of the target stands and shoot at them, score one for knocking it over (a near miss) and two for hitting it (shattered) - great fun!
The Truth IS Out There, The lies are in your head. (T. Pratchett - 'Hogfather'))