Got me a 1893 Turk.

This forum is for topics about the bolt action Mauser rifle from any country of production.

Moderator: joseyclosey

Candyman
Contributing Member

Got me a 1893 Turk.

Post by Candyman » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:52 pm

I picked up a 1893 Turkish Mauser about 2 weeks ago and I am very happy with it. It is non matching like most Turks but, just about every part is marked with a Turkish moon.
It still has the Magazine cut off box and stright grip stock.
I have a fedish for Turkish Mausers that's almost as bad as my fedish for 22 rifles. :lol: This one put me at number 14 and I am taking a drive tomorrow to go look at another one. I may have Turk number 15 when I get home in the afternoon. :mrgreen:
Well here are a few pic's.

Niner
Site Admin

Re: Got me a 1893 Turk.

Post by Niner » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:50 pm

Reminds me of the bargains that used to be. Century offered three models.. 1893, 1903, and 1938. Good condition Mausers with bayonet and ammo boxes...delivered ... for $50. Those kind of bargains will never come again, I'd imagine.

The 1893 had the bolt that cocked on closing, like the Enfield, unlike the later models that cocked on opening. All of the models of Turk were heavy and built for a long rough life. They were used until recent times after a refurbishment or two with later dates added seemingly mostly in the 30's and 40's. I have one that had a note hidden in the stock under the barrel from what looks to have been a trainee put there some time probably in the 60's. A friend of mine who is a Turk by birth and now an American citizen tried to translate but said the guy writing it must have been barely literate. He could make out the guy seemed to be saying that the rifle was a good one and that he hoped whoever got it after him took care of it.

Oh, and remember the $4 bandoleers of 60 year old Turk ammo? I still have a few stashed away.