New Winter photo contest

I started this forum for any collecting hobby and it turned into my camera collecting and using forum. I use it mostly to keep a record of my photo adventures. Nobody but me seems to have photo adventures that visit here....but however. I have so many cameras now that I forget which is which and which ones work and which ones don't. If you have cameras and adventures you would be welcome to post here.

Moderator: DuncaninFrance

DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Re: New Winter photo contest

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:49 am

Ummmmmmmmmmmm, yes, well .....................................................afraid I am going to have to use a cuiller instead :FRA:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
DuncaninFrance

SPOON FED

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:16 am

Duncan

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks Duncan. I was wondering if anybody was going to enter this contest. :oops:
joseyclosey

Post by joseyclosey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:45 am

I have a pic ready to post but looking at the quality of Duncs fotie it looks like i wont be winning that cup! Nice one Duncan. :D

Now i am off to sulk and take some more foties.

Joe ;)
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:36 pm

SOMETIMES the best laid plans etc.,................................

I woke up at about 3am today and thought "Try and do something with a spoon"!
I very carefully set up the shot and put the camera on timer and then held the spoon over the breech and pressed the shutter button :(
'Sh*t!' I forgot to turn the flash on and the camera was set to AV - f22...............while the shutter was open I pulled the spoon away and swore :evil:
I then set it up on Auto with the flash ready and took another 5 - all crap but the first one....................well as you can see, it worked out so I thought "Tweak the colours & contrast a bit and lets see what happens"! :D

The moral of the story..........NEVER ASSUME YOU GOT IT WRONG, you might just surprise yourself :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Duncan

Niner Delta

Post by Niner Delta » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:14 am

"The subject and rules shall be as follows:
Show a composition with a firearm or firearms of Curio and Relic age, or older, reflecting above average imagination of composition by judgement of the voters." - Robert's contest rules, 1-5-2011

"This one is thought to have been made 1975/6." - Duncan's shotgun post, 6-7-2010

Vern.
:USA:

Peace is that brief, quiet moment in history.......... when everybody stands around reloading.
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:27 am

Niner Delta wrote:"The subject and rules shall be as follows:
Show a composition with a firearm or firearms of Curio and Relic age, or older, reflecting above average imagination of composition by judgement of the voters." - Robert's contest rules, 1-5-2011

"This one is thought to have been made 1975/6." - Duncan's shotgun post, 6-7-2010

Vern.
' thought to have been made 1975/6' I have no proof of it's age but as WW Greener made these for many years before then, that's as near as I get!
What are the 'Rules' for C&R in the US as we don't have such a thing here :?:

Anyway, if it doesn't fit the bill I am sure Robert will delete it and tell me to enter another.......................which I WILL do :|
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Well....it's a reproduction of a Curio and Relic. That Hawkin flinter I showed as an example sure is a reproduction. I couldn't afford a "real" one....or if I did buy one I wouldn't be taking it out of the house and pitching it into a pile of leaves. :lol:

The photo is fine for the contest. The rules now should read Curio and Relic, or a reproduction that could pass for one. By the way....lots of guns don't look like they are all that old even if they are C&R......SKS.....P64.....CZ82....whatever else that comes to mind. I'll not be very judgemental about any gun....just get a spoon in the picture some place.

Thanks for saying something Niner Delta. You did have a point. My sense of detail often takes a back seat to my determination to act upon any bright idea that suddenly pops into my head. I'll try to contain myself in the future and pay more attention to detail....but don't bet on it actually happening .
:loco:
DuncaninFrance

Post by DuncaninFrance » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:53 pm

I decided to e.mail Greeners ( they still trade) and asked about the gun.
I had a reply from Graham Greener to say that the gun was made in 1977 while the company was owned by Webley ( who bought it in 1967 and then sold it back to Greeners in 1985 )
The mark originated in 1922. One point that should be noted is that my gun is not a reproduction, it IS a Greener GP with the same features as the first guns in the line.

I did a search and it would appear that C&R weapons should be 50 years old OR as designated by the US Government. Greener shotguns do feature in the list but not the GP as far as I can see. :cool:
Duncan

Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:05 pm

The action and design is a lot older than 1922...whatever the factory history. It's close enough for this contest whoever produced it, whenever they produced it. :bigsmile:
Attachments
My rifle, that looks a lot like yours, is a curiosity and relic for sure and probably made by someone in India.
My rifle, that looks a lot like yours, is a curiosity and relic for sure and probably made by someone in India.