American States feel like "countries" concerning gun laws

Place to discuss gun laws around the world and general observations about the legal aspects of collecting in any country.

Moderator: Aughnanure

The Virginian
Regular visitor

American States feel like "countries" concerning gun laws

Post by The Virginian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:47 pm

:salute: ? Based on how varied gun laws or rather intrusions on American Constitutional Rights, the individual states feel more like independent countries when one compares their regulation of firearms or lack thereof. Virginia is one of the better ones, but go north to say New Jersey, and it might as well be the Third Reich by comparison when it comes to gun laws. What do you all think?
Member of the Southern National Congress :rebel:
Niner
Site Admin

Re: American States feel like "countries" concerning gun law

Post by Niner » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 pm

States make rules. Cities make rules. Different parts of the country have different social fears that mandate different ideas of what is the common good. Those who are elected to public office all over the country do what they perceive as the will of their constituents when it comes to making laws that curtail in some ways the simple constitutional right of the people to have firearms. However, as long as most of the people in a state or large metropolitan area want the right to own firearms protected for law abiding people, then it will probably stay that way. I think most of the states in America are going to stay pretty much in favor of gun ownership for a long time to come with only modest restrictions.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:47 am

If I were you I would count my blessings :( You should see what sort of draconian controls are applied on THIS side of the pond - especially in the UK :evil: :evil:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 am

But Duncan....could that be because most of the people in the UK, not owning guns, could care less if others have to go through a lot of red tape and rules and regulations? In the US, in most states, owning firearms is pretty common. In one small town in Georgia it is a requirement to own a firearm even. Anti gun legislation has little or no chance in most states.
DuncaninFrance
Global Moderator Sponsor 2011-2017

Post by DuncaninFrance » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:35 pm

No, it's all down to a misinformed public who believe everything the media tell them about guns and the people who want to own /shoot them coupled with a knee-jerk reaction by politicians every time someone uses a gun - even if the gun is illegally held by a criminal. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Duncan

What contemptible scoundrel has stolen the cork to my lunch? -- W.C. Fields
"Many of those who enjoy freedom know little of its price."
You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something.
The Virginian
Regular visitor

Post by The Virginian » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:19 pm

One thing that is going to hit the gun hating states is the US Supreme Court rulings that started with the Heller case. My constitutional right to keep and bear arms should be good in any of the 50 United States, 2 Commonwealths, 4 Territories and 3 Possessions as the states legally can not legislate the US Constitution away or even regulate it like DC, NYC and "Kali-fornia." :lol:
Member of the Southern National Congress :rebel: