finnish issue Sauer&Sohn Mod. 13

Forum for collectible handguns from whatever country.

Moderator: Niner

awo425
Leading Member

finnish issue Sauer&Sohn Mod. 13

Post by awo425 » Thu May 18, 2006 2:22 pm

Normaly I am more a rifle collector, but when a finnish issues handgun crosses my way, I can not resist :bigsmile:

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/815/ ... s134wv.jpg[/pic]

Chirs
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Thu May 18, 2006 9:21 pm

Thanks for posting it. Not something I've seen before. Looks in really good shape too. Why do you think it is marked in English as "Germany" instead of maybe "Deutschland' or maybe "Saksa" if it had been owned by Finns? I take it you picked it up in Germany or at least Europe?

Looked it up and seems like there were some export pistols that had all English writing, including the "and Son" as this one clearly doesn't.
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Fri May 19, 2006 2:25 pm

Most of those 7.65mm Pistols were originaly bought by civilians and later given to the finnish defence forces to help the pistol shortage in the war.

So there is no way of knowing, when this Mod 13 came to Finnland.

This one has also a rare finnich stamp for sold out of service equipment, the M in the circle.

I got this from an auction, because nobody did any bidding on it.

After the auction ended, a good friend sent me a mail and I got the gun for the starting bid :mrgreen:

And yes, I found it in Germany.

Chris
Niner
Site Admin

Post by Niner » Fri May 19, 2006 11:03 pm

The mark "Germany" above the M in a circle. Where do you think that mark was made? A proof or property mark in Germany...English spelling and usage as shown...wouldn't be "Germany" in actual German language would it?

I know I'm probably not noticing something obvious....but I can't see it. :oops:
awo425
Leading Member

Post by awo425 » Sat May 20, 2006 1:11 am

Perhaps the Germany stamp was added, when the pistol was imported into the UK or US???

And than from there sold to Finnland??????

Other german made weapons do carry such stamps, like Anschütz rifles on pre WW2 production.

Chris